The Jammu and Kashmir State Board of School Education was established through a legislation under the Jammu and Kashmir State Board of School Education Act, 1975.
The apex body is the governing board comprising the following members:
- Chairman, J & K State BOSE Commissioner/Secretary Education
- Director School Education (Jammu Division)
- Director School Education (Kashmir Division)
- A representative each of the two Universities of Jammu & Kashmir respectively, to be nominated by the concerned University Council.
- Four school teachers to be nominated by Government, of whom 2 shall be lady teachers concerned with Girls’ Education and 2 male teachers concerned with Boys’ Education.
- An eminent educationist connected with the administration, to be nominated by Government.
- A representative of one of the Teachers’ Training Institutions in the States, to be nominated by the Government, and;
- 2 persons nominated by Government, one male and one female officer from among Principals, Headmasters and Headmistress of teaching institutions in the State.
- Secretory, BOSE (Member Secretory)
Functions of BOSE
- Conduct public examinations of secondary and higher secondary Classes
- Prepare and publish results of examinations
- Grant diplomas and certificates
- Prescribe the courses of instruction, scheme of studies, prepare syllabi, curriculum and textbooks for the School Education as per National Policy on Education
- Print and supply textbooks to the School Education Department
- Provide education through State Open School under open distance learning (ODL) mode for those who have missed formal schooling
- Award medals and prizes to meritorious students in public examinations
- Grant affiliation to private (secondary and higher secondary) schools
- Implement National Sponsored Schemes like Adolescence Education Programme, NTSE/NMMS, Scholarships, National Achievement Survey, etc.